Lesson 12: Development--What do we do to promote it?
Take-home point: Development is not easy. It is best to take a careful look at what is actually hindering progress and figure out ways to address hurdles--or alternatively take a careful look at pent-up potential and find ways to unleash it.
- Review of readings.
- Why do we want to promote it? Why are we talking about development in a class on global civilization?
- Who promotes development?
- Historical views on development.
- Contrast between two current views: Millennium Development Goals (Sachs) vs. Policy Choice (Rodrik)
- Small-group exploration of Ellerman Development Do's and Don'ts
- First Do: Start from where the Doers are
- Second Do: See the problem through the Doers� eyes
- First Don�t: Don�t try to impose change on Doers
- Second Don�t: Don�t give help as benevolence
- Third Do: Respect autonomy of the Doers
- Presentation of Do & Don't stories to class.