Lesson 2: Who are the Global Players?
Take-home point: the "world order" established after WWII is in decline. The UN can't deal with everything effectively, and neither can anything else, yet. There are fundamental conflicts among integration, democracy, and sovereign nation-states.
- Review of readings, assignments.
- Class splits into four teams to play the International Bodies Game.
- Game debrief; quick overview of history shaping current global landscape and the kinds of international bodies that exist.
- Dani Rodrik's "Trilemma" among deep integration, democratic politics, and sovereign nation-states. You can have two but not three, not completely.
- Wrap-up and quick evaluation.